These little morsels are vegan, gluten free, paleo, and super yummy.
Magpie and I made a batch to bring to our friends’ New Years Eve party and they were a big hit!
They’re easy to put together, and once you have the ingredients in your pantry you can whip them up any time the mood hits.
- 3 tablespoons butter flavored coconut oil (yes it’s totally dairy free!)
- generous pinch sea salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar (this one’s made with tapioca starch – totally paleo, baby)
- 1 cup almond flour
- a little drizzle of olive oil as needed to moisten the dough
- fruit jam for making thumbprints
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans to mix into the dough
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest and/or a sprinkle of lavender flowers for a special lemon-lavender shortbread
- larger pieces of walnuts or pecans to press into the top of cookies
Mix all ingredients together to form a crumbly mixture, I use my fingers to mix it all well. Then, drizzle just a tiny bit of olive oil in and check the consistency by making a small handful of dough. When you squeeze it in your palm and it forms easily it’s just right.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, preheat oven to 350F, and use your fingers to form 16 little balls of dough.
You can use the tines of a fork to make the traditional criss cross design. Make some of each, for fun, like in the photo above! We did some with pecans pressed in the top and some fruit jam thumbprints. We used Trader Joe’s low sugar apricot jam, they were fantastic.